Friday, June 1, 2012

What a Difference a Year Makes

Today, June 1, was a quiet anniversary for me.  One year ago, I made one of the biggest moves in my young broadcasting career.  I quit.

The reason was simple: my body just couldn't take it anymore.  I was at the height of my Graves Disease. My eyes were puffy and watery.  My legs and feet were swollen to the size of footballs.  My metabolism was lethargic.  My energy was drained.  I needed to make a change, and after talking with my doctors and close loved ones, I knew leaving the stress of my job was step number one.

I was scared yet hopeful.  TV news was the only professional life I'd known for the previous decade.  I felt like stepping away was like taking a step back.  What good was all the hard work in becoming an anchor in market #23 if I was just going to give it up?

Turns out it was great.  The last year has been full of a level of happiness I hadn't seen or felt in a long time...since 2008, at least.  Since leaving the newsroom, I've made my health a priority.  I went to the Mayo Clinic in December, and they put me back on the right track.  With the help of my new endocrinologist in Richmond, I'm as close to normal as I've been since I was diagnosed (blood/hormone-wise).  My symptoms have stopped getting worse and, in some ways, have improved.  I'm eating better and exercising more.  And for those of you who don't know, I've decided to go back to school.

YOU are the best investment you can make, whether it's through happiness, health, education, or all of the above.  Like they say on the airplanes, when it comes time to use the oxygen mask, put yours on first before helping others.  It's not selfish.  What good are you if you can't give a friend your all?

I'd be remiss if I didn't say THANK YOU to my supportive family and friends who've been with me on this journey every step of the way.  I love each and every one of you.  Much appreciation and gratitude, too, to my former Charlotte employer–particularly Joe and Julie–for their understanding and kindness.

I'm in a wonderful place right now, and I know things will only get better.  Don't get me wrong — there are times when I miss reporting the news of the day.  But the best is yet to come, and I'm not looking back!

3 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary and congratulations on learning and actually putting into practice the necessity of taking good care of yourself, because that's the only way you can be there for others. It sounds like you have many reasons for hope in the present and on the horizon. I pray that you continue to be open to the love, healing, and wholeness the Lord knows you need most. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Trisha! I really appreciate the encouragement and the prayers. Despite the health hurdles I've faced the last few years, I feel I'm blessed for a number of reasons--your friendship included!

      Delete
  2. Yay :) I'm happy you're happy. And I admire you for being so brave taking the leaps you made, despite how scary they were. You inspire me bro :P

    ReplyDelete