Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Where Do You See Yourself in Five Years?

You know Kenneth on "30 Rock," the TV show?  That was almost me.

Not the role, but the position of NBC Page.  Nine years ago, I applied to the prestigious NBC Page Program.  I made it to the final round, and I know exactly why they didn't offer me a position.  I didn't tell them what they wanted to hear.

About eight of us applicants were seated around a board room table (ala "The Apprentice"), and the question was, "Where do you see yourself in five years?"  One by one, people rattled off their answers.  "I want to be a TV reporter in a Top 50 market," said one.  "I will be an editor at the Today Show," said another.  "I will have earned my master's degree, married my college sweetheart, had our first child, and begun working as a field producer for Dateline."  Pretty specific.

My answer, however, was the black sheep in the room.  Instead of something so scripted and expected, I took a more philosophical approach.  "I don't know where I'll be, and I'd be foolish to pretend like I do," I said.  "But I hope wherever I am—whether it be a small-market anchor, a network production assistant, or a position in a completely unrelated field—I hope I act with purpose, stay true to my values, and avoid regret every step of the way."  I see now how that might've seemed like a dodgy response, but I'm pretty sure I was the only one in the room who genuinely meant every word he said.

2008 Dancing with the Albany Stars Champion
Never thought I'd win a Mirror Ball trophy!
I had reason to be so idealistic, too.  If you'd asked me five years earlier, my answer probably would have been that I was going to be applying to medical school, not the NBC Page Program.  And it certainly wouldn't have included experiences like running a commercial radio station in Charlottesville, Va.  Moreover, sitting in that board room high atop 30 Rock, I had no idea that a year later I would be graduating with honors from Columbia University.  Or that five years later I would be diagnosed with a life-altering, incurable autoimmune disease.

This applies to all of us.  I've come to learn that life isn't about how well we plan for the future so much as how we make the most of present opportunities (though, just because I realize this doesn't mean I practice it well).  We don't know what tomorrow might bring, but we all know what today has brought.  Sure, there's something to be said for having a direction to follow in our lives, and I'm not advocating that anyone wander aimlessly professionally or personally.  But asking someone their career goals, their motivations, and their interests is a different question than, "Where do you see yourself in five years?"  Think about it.  Why not just ask, "What are your career goals?  What are your motivations?  What interests you?"

Needless to say, you can probably tell I don't like the "five years" question.  In fact, I was asked a similarly phrased question in a recent interview, and my answer was akin to what you're reading here.  I started by explaining my career goals, motivations, and interests, then I admitted I couldn't say what the next five years would bring.  I stressed to the interviewer that I didn't mean it as an insult or criticism of her question, but rather it was the most honest answer I could give.  She kindly took me at my word.  Fortunately I got the position.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent insight, well expressed. This can also be filed under the, 'everything happens for a reason' category. P.S. She was smart to offer you the position, NBC missed out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristina! You're absolutely right: Everything DOES happen for a reason. I appreciate your friendship and support. Also, I'm so proud of all you've accomplished with Promising Pages. Truly inspirational!

      Delete